You can help solve West Ohio's hunger problem. We need...
- 600 businesses, organizations or individuals who are willing to commit $1000/year...or...
- 1,000 businesses who will share $600/year...or...
- 2,000 individuals, who can contribute $300/year
Be part of the solution, please Donate Now.
West Ohio Food Bank participated in a research study called Hunger in America 2014. The study was conducted for Feeding America by Westat. Many staff and volunteers from food banks around the nation completed in-person interviews. The final report of this study was released by Feeding America in early Fall of 2014.
The following are findings pertaining specifically to the West Ohio Food Bank's 11 county service area.
How many clients receive emergency food from the West Ohio Food Bank?
- The Feeding America system served by the West Ohio Food Bank provides food for an estimated 92,400 different people annually.
- Approximately 12,900 different people receive assistance in any given week.
Who receives emergency food assistance?
- 41% of the members of households served by the West Ohio Food Bank are children under 18 years old.
- 7% of the members of households are elderly.
- 42% of households include at least one employed adult.
- 76% have incomes below the official federal poverty level.
Many clients report having to choose between food and other necessities.
- 85% of clients served by the West Ohio Food Bank report having to choose between paying for food and paying for utilities or heating fuel.
- 65% had to choose between paying for food and paying their rent or mortgage.
- 82% had to choose between paying for food and paying for medicine or medical care.
- 74% had to choose between paying for food and paying for transportation.
- 91% reported using multiple strategies for getting enough food in the past 12 months, inlcuding eating food past its expiration date, growin food in a garden, pawning or selling personal property, and waterind down food or drinks.
Do Feeding America clients also receive food assistance from the government?
- 56% of client households served by the West Ohio Food Bank are receiving Food Stamp Program benefits; however, it is likely that many more are eligible.
Many clients are in poor health.
- 42% of households served by the West Ohio Food Bank report having at least one household member with diabetes.
- 71% of households report at least one member with high blood pressure.
- Additionally, 34% of client households have no members with health insurance of any kind.
Ages of clients served by partner agencies in the West Ohio Food Bank area.
- 6.6% are 0-5 years old
- 25% are 6-17 years old
- 14.2% are 18-29 years old
- 27.4% are 30-49 years old
- 11% are 50-59 years old
- 7.2% are 60-64 years old
- 8.6% are 65 years or older
Agency & Program Resources
- In the area served by West Ohio Food Bank, 15% of agencies reported they had to cut back on services in the past 12 months.
- Of those agencies cutting back on services, 8% cut hours of operation,
- 5% laid off staff,
- 7% limited the geographic area that they serve.
Impact of elimination of food bank.
- 87% of programs reported no longer receiving food from the food bank would have a major effect on the program;
- 10% said it would have a minor effect,;
- 4% said it would have no effect at all.
Your Support Helps Us to End Hunger
The West Ohio Food Bank depends on donations from our community
to assist in our mission of eliminating hunger in Northwest